ART / PROJECTS / BUSINESSES of Country Queers we’ve interviewed:
Help Country Queers survive and thrive in rural communities by supporting the art, farms, creative projects, and businesses of country queers we’ve had the pleasure of meeting along the way!
- Jonah from CT made a great film documenting queer farmers in the U.S. called Out Here.
- Sam from Southwest VA is a wonderful musician and educator. You can find out more about his music here.
- Candace owns and operates the amazing Ed’s Sno-Cones in Angleton, TX.
- Courtney and her family are the hardworking farmers at Homestead Ranch in Lecompton, KS.
- Crisosto Apache is the Director of the Two Spirit National Cultural Exchange, based in New Mexico.
- Mattie owns the historic Hotel Ritchey in Alpine, TX which she’s fixing up to re-open!
ORAL HISTORY PROJECTS:
- LGBTQ Oral History Hub: AMAZING list of links to dozens of queer oral history projects compiled by the Digital Collaboratory.
- The Digital Transgender Archive: The purpose of the DTA is to increase the accessibility of transgender history by providing an online hub for digitized historical materials, born-digital materials, and information on archival holdings throughout the world.
- Southerners On New Ground (SONG): building a political home across race, class, culture, gender & sexuality in the South
- The STAY Project (Stay Together Appalachian Youth) : regional network of Central Appalachian youth, 14-30, working towards a more sustainable and inclusive future in the mountains
- Kansas Queer Youth Network (KQYN): a Kansas statewide GSA Network
- Two Spirit National Cultural Exchange: dedicated to the positive development of two-spirit people and culture
- Green Mountain Crossroads: supports rural LGBTQ communities in becoming stronger, healthier, and more visible -based in Brattleboro, Vermont.
- Rural Organizing Project: the Rural Organizing Project uses values-based organizing to advance a progressive vision of democracy in Oregon, with a focus on Democracy & Civic Participation, Immigrant Fairness, LGBTQ Justice, Economic Justice, and the Cost of War.